Southeast Asia Activity
Primary Sources and Pre-Class Response Activity
The pre-class response activity for this class is a collaborative webquest. Here's how this works:
1.) Explore images from the online galleries listed below. I'd encourage you to explore at least two of the galleries before settling on an image to share.
- I'm also open to suggested images from other online collections. Email or chat with me if you have something in mind.
2.) Choose ONE image of an artifact that meets the following requirements:
- Was created in Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia or Myanmar.
- Was created between 500 CE and 1500 CE.
3.) Share this image on your blog. Please also include:
- A brief description of the object. (1-2 sentences)
- You can copy and paste from the online gallery.
- But please use quotes to indicate the words aren't your own.
- A link back to the online gallery where you found the image.
- The date the object was made.
4.) Write 3-6 sentences about why you think the object is interesting or significant - to you or more generally to history.
Google Arts & Culture: Keyword search for Indonesia, Cambodia, Burma/Myanmar, or Thailand. Click the "refine" button on the site to choose a date range. (In this case, the relevant range is 500-1500 CE.) You can then click on individual images to explore stories, details, and zoom options for the image.
Metropolitan Museum of Art: This will give you some background information as well. The link takes you to info and art for 500-1000 CE; click forward on the timeline at the top of the page to view info and images for 1000-1400 CE.
Art Institute of Chicago: Explore the museum's collection of Southeast Asian Art.